AIDL using sdk addon component

Nirmit Shah
Is there a known way of creating sdk addon libraries with aidl interfaces? I see there is a framework.aidl packed with the android sdk. When I load my sdk addon in android studio; it fails during compile time with the error : "couldn't find import for class ...". One way to fix this is to manually add aidl files from sdk addon to project directory. Is there a way to automate the process while installing sdk addon?

Re: AIDL using sdk addon component

Vitaliy Freidovich
Hi Nirmit,

What is your purpose?
Why do you need AIDL?

Vitaliy

On Wed 1 Aug 2018, 9:18 p.m. Nirmit Shah, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Is there a known way of creating sdk addon libraries with aidl interfaces? I see there is a framework.aidl packed with the android sdk. When I load my sdk addon in android studio; it fails during compile time with the error : "couldn't find import for class ...". One way to fix this is to manually add aidl files from sdk addon to project directory. Is there a way to automate the process while installing sdk addon?

Re: AIDL using sdk addon component

Nirmit Shah
Hi Vitaliy,

We are trying to create a library which can interact with a custom system service using aidl. The library will be stored in the system framework, we decided to create an sdk addon so that we don't need to package the library with every apk. Do you have any idea about creating sdk addon with aidl?

Thanks,
Nirmit Shah

On Thursday, August 2, 2018 at 3:08:13 PM UTC-7, Vitaliy Freidovich wrote:
Hi Nirmit,

What is your purpose?
Why do you need AIDL?

Vitaliy

On Wed 1 Aug 2018, 9:18 p.m. Nirmit Shah, <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="D8oon82UDAAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">nirmi...@...> wrote:
Is there a known way of creating sdk addon libraries with aidl interfaces? I see there is a framework.aidl packed with the android sdk. When I load my sdk addon in android studio; it fails during compile time with the error : "couldn't find import for class ...". One way to fix this is to manually add aidl files from sdk addon to project directory. Is there a way to automate the process while installing sdk addon?

Re: AIDL using sdk addon component

Vitaliy Freidovich
Hi Nimrit,

If I understand your intention correctly,
you're planning to modify the Android Framework to add a new capability to it, 3rd party apps would be able to use easily just like regular framework SDK call.

Note that the cost in this route is that you're creating your own custom ROM/firmware which cannot be easily distributed, would require you to intall it physically on each device, and won't receive regular FOTA updates, as well as  loosing full chain of trust security capability that most modern devices come with - adding potential security attack vectors.  If you're certain that you're understanding the costs of this approach and nevertheless decide to proceed, than what you're looking at is adding a new System Service to Android's  SystemServer.

You can find some guides about it online, like http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/Android-Adding_SystemService which describes the process for a bit older version of the OS, but should be close to your needs.

Good Luck,
Vitaliy

On Sat 4 Aug 2018, 12:21 a.m. Nirmit Shah, <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Satish Patel

On Fri, Aug 3, 2018 at 11:58 PM, Nirmit Shah <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Vitaliy,

We are trying to create a library which can interact with a custom system service using aidl. The library will be stored in the system framework, we decided to create an sdk addon so that we don't need to package the library with every apk. Do you have any idea about creating sdk addon with aidl?
In that case could you just create stub a.k.a Manager (just like other systemservice managers), which can open the service and call the required APIs. You just need to package Manager inside SDK-add ons to resolved

build time dependency.

Thanks,
Nirmit Shah

On Thursday, August 2, 2018 at 3:08:13 PM UTC-7, Vitaliy Freidovich wrote:
Hi Nirmit,

What is your purpose?
Why do you need AIDL?

Vitaliy

On Wed 1 Aug 2018, 9:18 p.m. Nirmit Shah, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Is there a known way of creating sdk addon libraries with aidl interfaces? I see there is a framework.aidl packed with the android sdk. When I load my sdk addon in android studio; it fails during compile time with the error : "couldn't find import for class ...". One way to fix this is to manually add aidl files from sdk addon to project directory. Is there a way to automate the process while installing sdk addon?

satish patel

Re: AIDL using sdk addon component

Nirmit Shah
Hi Vitaliy,

Thanks for the response. Yes, I do understand the implications. We are creating a custom Android which we don't plan to update at least the OS. That is a good document but not what I was looking for. I wanted to check if there is a preferred way to export aidl files with an sdk addon component

On Saturday, August 4, 2018 at 11:35:28 PM UTC-7, Vitaliy Freidovich wrote:
Hi Nimrit,

If I understand your intention correctly,
you're planning to modify the Android Framework to add a new capability to it, 3rd party apps would be able to use easily just like regular framework SDK call.

Note that the cost in this route is that you're creating your own custom ROM/firmware which cannot be easily distributed, would require you to intall it physically on each device, and won't receive regular FOTA updates, as well as  loosing full chain of trust security capability that most modern devices come with - adding potential security attack vectors.  If you're certain that you're understanding the costs of this approach and nevertheless decide to proceed, than what you're looking at is adding a new System Service to Android's  SystemServer.

You can find some guides about it online, like <a href="http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/Android-Adding_SystemService" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Fprocessors.wiki.ti.com%2Findex.php%2FAndroid-Adding_SystemService\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNG1IAnHjlgVZeAu5Fu4tdoxk9eeyQ&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Fprocessors.wiki.ti.com%2Findex.php%2FAndroid-Adding_SystemService\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNG1IAnHjlgVZeAu5Fu4tdoxk9eeyQ&#39;;return true;">http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/Android-Adding_SystemService which describes the process for a bit older version of the OS, but should be close to your needs.

Good Luck,
Vitaliy

On Sat 4 Aug 2018, 12:21 a.m. Nirmit Shah, <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="I3721qRNDQAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">nirmi...@...> wrote:
[...]

Hi Satish,

Sorry missed your answer. We are trying to share parcelable objects between service using aidl. Now these "parcelable objects" need to be part of the "sdk add-ons". How do we do that, when we load the addon in android studio it needs the aidl files too which are not installed with sdk addon.

On Fri, Aug 3, 2018 at 11:58 PM, Nirmit Shah <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="8upH7aRNDQAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">nirmi...@...> wrote:

On Mon, Aug 6, 2018 at 11:55 PM, Nirmit Shah <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Satish,

Sorry missed your answer. We are trying to share
parcelable objects between service using aidl. Now these "parcelable objects" need to be part of the "sdk add-ons". How do we do that, when we load the addon in android studio it needs the aidl files too which are not installed with sdk addon.
Even parcelable objects are possible. Few years back I have create GPIODevice APIs and exposed via SDK-add ons

[...]

We know its possible but how do you share the aidl files from the Sdk add-on with the 3rd party APK during compilation. For example: framework.aidl in the android-sdk/platform-folder does a similar job for the android.jar.

Thanks,
Nirmit Shah

On Tuesday, August 7, 2018 at 7:42:53 AM UTC-7, Satish Patel wrote:

On Mon, Aug 6, 2018 at 11:55 PM, Nirmit Shah <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="9yr0N2cFDgAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">nirmi...@...> wrote:
[...]

Hi,

On Wed, Aug 8, 2018 at 8:00 PM Nirmit Shah <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Satish,

We know its possible but how do you share the aidl files from the Sdk add-on with the 3rd party APK during compilation. For example: framework.aidl in the android-sdk/platform-folder does a similar job for the android.jar.
Instead of sharing/exposing aidl, one should write manager interface (such like other managers in frameworks right now) and expose that. Manager interface will take care of peaceable objects.

frameworks/base/libs/usb/src/com/android/future/usb/UsbAccessory.java
& UsbManager.java

[...]

Jack-2
The Android Interface Definition Language (AIDL) is similar to other IDLs you might have worked with. It allows you to define the programming interface that both the client and service agree upon in order to communicate with each other using interprocess communication (IPC). On Android, one process cannot normally access the memory of another process. So to talk, they need to decompose their objects into primitives that the operating system can understand, and marshall the objects across that boundary for you. The code to do that marshalling is tedious to write, so Android handles it for you with AIDL.

Regards,
Hari