Android NDK Linking problems

Max Coder
I am building some code that uses small static libraries to build a single larger shared library.

When it tries to build the shared library I get errors:
bin/ld: error: no archive symbol table (run ranlib)

I dig down to the build directory and the 'link.txt' file has
"gcc-ar ....."

I am using the android.toolchain.cmake file for the CMAKE_TOOLCHAIN_FILE.

When I change the 'link.txt file to have:
arm-...-ar  library
arm...-ranlib library.a

the shared library link works.

Any suggestions on how to get cmake to generate the right link.txt file?

Thanks
C-