BLE Release (was: Re: Android 4.2 JB MR1 Bluetooth)

BLE Release (was: Re: Android 4.2 JB MR1 Bluetooth)

Ian Darwin

On Wednesday, 14 November 2012 16:53:22 UTC-5, Matthew Xie wrote:
Hi Manuel

I don't have more info on the BLE schedule at this time.
Thanks
Matthew

Hi Matthew. Thanks for your candid answer. That BLE has (finally!) percolated up is indeed good news!

We can understand that you as a developer may not know the release date. But there must (or should) be somebody inside Google that knows.
We would like that person to speak up. Please ask your manager to speak up, or have them contact me. I need to know how many tens of thousands
of iPhones I will have to buy to use before I can start using Android in medical apps (actually its' more like tens than thousands, but that's just for
the little  research group I work in; worldwide, the number of iPhone/iPad sales that are being made merely because Google dropped the ball on BLE
probably *is* in the tens of thousands ... per month).  And everytime somebody starts up a new project, the number goes up. AND THESE PEOPLE
WILL NEVER COME BACK TO ANDROID.

Please, have your manager speak up, or contact me by email (Google knows it).

Thank you.

Re: BLE Release

rpzrpzrpz@gmail.com
Ian:

If you magically are contacted by Google with a tentative BLE release date,
please make like Oliver Twist and SHARE your information.

Cheers,

md

On 2012-12-11 9:19 AM, Bartosz Nadworny wrote:
+1

On Tuesday, 4 December 2012 00:03:05 UTC+1, mark diener wrote:
Ian:

If you magically are contacted by Google with a tentative BLE release date,
please make like Oliver Twist and SHARE your information.

Dream on, guys. Magic only happens in the movies. :-)

But thanks for your playing...

Re: BLE Release

Pavan Savoy
The fact that Android introduced bluedroid stack with 4.2 MR1 Jelly Bean pretty much suggests there is NO point in asking Google for road maps anymore (at least in bluetooth and nfc anymore...)
Android project was a good amalgamation of open source projects whose road map was determined by community PREVIOUSLY.
So, the question itself is asked to wrong people in a wrong forum !!!

know anyone in broadcom ? :)

Re: BLE Release

Alexey Eromenko
BLE is the new Bluetooth stack in Android 4.2 ?

If so, is it any better than previous community-built Bluetooth stack, BlueZ ?

--
-Alexey Eromenko "Technologov"

Re: BLE Release

Ian Darwin
On 2012-12-11 10:22 AM, Pavan Savoy wrote:
> The fact that Android introduced bluedroid stack with 4.2 MR1 Jelly
> Bean pretty much suggests there is NO point in asking Google for road
> maps anymore (at least in bluetooth and nfc anymore...)
> Android project was a good amalgamation of open source projects whose
> road map was determined by community PREVIOUSLY.
> So, the question itself is asked to wrong people in a wrong forum !!!
>
> know anyone in broadcom ? :)

Hah, that's even funnier!  Do you know how many times I have PLEADED
with Broadcom to release this?
They keep saying "Sorry, you have to ask your vendor..."

Re: BLE Release

Ian Darwin
On 2012-12-11 10:59 AM, Alexey Eromenko wrote, in the android-platform
Google Group:
> BLE is the new Bluetooth stack in Android 4.2 ?
>
> If so, is it any better than previous community-built Bluetooth stack, BlueZ ?

No, it isn't. Please go back and re-read the original thread.

Android 4.2MR1 includes a replacement for the conventional Bluetooth stack,
coincidentally written by Broadcom.

BLE is Bluetooth Low Energy, a.k.a. BT Smart, part of Bluetooth 4.0.

BLE is one of the holy grails of people in industries like Healthcare,
b/c you can run
a tiny medical monitoring device for weeks or months w/o recharging or
replacing its battery,
instead of hours or days.

Many current generation Android handsets have the hardware (many of them
Broadcom
dual-mode chips)  that can do BLE, but there is NO SUPPORT in software.

That is why the iPhone is totally creaming Android in the healthcare
market. Google knows
this and doesn't care, or they would put more resources on the case of
getting it finished (see the OP's
comments about not having resources).   See, Google isn't about selling
handsets, they are about
placing advertising in front of people.  My evil conspiracy theory is
that Google doesn't care about
healthcare because they know hospital administrators won't allow ads in
medical aps. Could it be?
Nahhhh. More likely they just forgot about it. Which is worse?