Home, back and menu buttons are missing (Android 5.1)

Home, back and menu buttons are missing (Android 5.1)

Dave McLaughlin
I managed to sort out an issue with the display rotating to portrait when Launcher was started even though the fb default is landscape but now I find that the onscreeen home, back and menu buttons are missing. The area they usually occupy is just a black bar.

I know that in frameworks/base/core/res/res/values/config.xml there is a setting called confgi_showNavigationBar and this is set to true.

On this display, the menu bar appears on the right side of the screen (800x480)

Is there another setting for this or is the rotation the issue with this?