How to specify a custom defconfig file in Android 10 Kernel compilation

How to specify a custom defconfig file in Android 10 Kernel compilation

Michael Buch
I wanted to enable certain kernel features and in my Android 10 build for Pixel 3. I downloaded and built the correct msm kernel and successfully flashed it on the Pixel. To build the kernel I'm using the build/build.sh from the kernel source. I tried adding a custom defconfig file in private/msm-google/arch/arm64/configs/ and changing the DEFCONFIG variable in build.config to that file. When I compile I get following error:

++ echo ERROR: savedefconfig does not match private/msm-google/arch/arm64/configs/sdm845_defconfig
ERROR: savedefconfig does not match private/msm-google/arch/arm64/configs/sdm845_defconfig

How can I compile the kernel with a custom defconfig? It doesn't have to be through the build.sh method (although it would be preferable)

Re: How to specify a custom defconfig file in Android 10 Kernel compilation

hjellinek
I posted a very similar question to Android Building, but it was rejected, and I was told this is the right group for such questions.

How do Google or other AOSP developers do this?  I would love to know.