IPC comparison on Android

JonS
Hi,

I am researching IPC mechanisms for Android and I was wondering if there was a great resource that compares all the possible IPC mechanisms.  I am interested in primarily three areas: performance, simplicity (whether it can be accessed from Java and native code) and security.

Here are the ones I've found for Android.

- Binders
- Shared Memory
- Sockets
- Signals (Condition?)
- Named Pipes
- Files

thanks,

Re: IPC comparison on Android

Liu Xin
LWN has a good article on linux IPC mechanisms, including android's binder.
https://lwn.net/Articles/466304/

thanks,
--lx

On 12/02/2012 04:37 AM, Joman Chu wrote:
One of the best resources is the source code. Barring that, I've found these sites pretty useful.

On Sat, Dec 1, 2012 at 3:21 PM, JonS <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I am researching IPC mechanisms for Android and I was wondering if there was a great resource that compares all the possible IPC mechanisms.  I am interested in primarily three areas: performance, simplicity (whether it can be accessed from Java and native code) and security.

Here are the ones I've found for Android.

- Binders
- Shared Memory
- Sockets
- Signals (Condition?)
- Named Pipes
- Files

thanks,

Re: IPC comparison on Android

Kristopher Micinski
The binder is probably the most distinguishing feature, there's a few
good discussions of the Android Linux kernel extensions on the net you
can read as well...

kris