Newbie HAL service question

Darren Greene
Hi all,

Need help from HAL experts.

I am following the steps to integrate the ARM neural network HAL on my development kit (https://github.com/ARM-software/android-nn-driver). In the testing section we have the following step to "Run the ArmNN driver service executable in the background":
adb shell /system/vendor/bin/hw/android.hardware.neuralnetworks@1.0-service-armnn &

This starts the armnn hal service, I wanted to know if this can be started automatically at boot. Would something like adding on boot start xxxx in one of the rc files work ? What is the usual process to do this in the source code or is it not recommended to auto start them ?

Tried posting this question on the Android Development Forum, but the post has not gone through. In case this is not the right forum for my question, please let me know where to post.

- Darren

Re: Newbie HAL service question

Vitaliy Freidovich
Hi Darren,

If this is a driver which you need up & running in the early phases of the boot process, a good option wpuld be to add a service to appropriate init.rc file on the ramfs. Note that ramfs istypically  built as part of the boot image.

Good Luck,
Vitaliy

On Thu 26 Jul 2018, 4:30 p.m. Darren Greene, <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Glenn Kasten
This thread was accidentally initially approved for android-platform, but
actually android-porting is a better group for HAL-related topics.
We'll let this thread run to completion, but for future
HAL topics please post at android-porting instead.  Thanks!

I am following the steps to integrate the ARM neural network HAL on my development kit (<a href="https://github.com/ARM-software/android-nn-driver" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2FARM-software%2Fandroid-nn-driver\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNEwd0LRceHHDsUxczRkRtr1vipRpA&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2FARM-software%2Fandroid-nn-driver\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNEwd0LRceHHDsUxczRkRtr1vipRpA&#39;;return true;">https://github.com/ARM-software/android-nn-driver). In the testing section we have the following step to "Run the ArmNN driver service executable in the background":
adb shell /system/vendor/bin/hw/android.hardware.neuralnetworks@1.0-service-armnn &

This starts the armnn hal service, I wanted to know if this can be started automatically at boot. Would something like adding on boot start xxxx in one of the rc files work ? What is the usual process to do this in the source code or is it not recommended to auto start them ?

Tried posting this question on the Android Development Forum, but the post has not gone through. In case this is not the right forum for my question, please let me know where to post.

- Darren

Re: Newbie HAL service question

Darren Greene
Thank you Braganza, Vitaliy and Steven for the help. I will move this thread to android-porting as suggested by Glenn.

On Friday, July 27, 2018 at 12:32:01 AM UTC+5:30, Glenn Kasten wrote:
This thread was accidentally initially approved for android-platform, but
actually android-porting is a better group for HAL-related topics.
We'll let this thread run to completion, but for future
HAL topics please post at android-porting instead.  Thanks!

On Thursday, July 26, 2018 at 11:27:09 AM UTC-7, Steven Moreland wrote:
That service already has 'class hal' in its init.rc file, so it should be starting on boot already (assuming it is in PRODUCT_PACKAGES). It could also be a missing an sepolicy domain causing it to fail to start (even in permissive mode), and if this is the case, you should see an error message in dmesg.

On Thu, Jul 26, 2018 at 6:30 AM Darren Greene <<a href="javascript:" rel="nofollow" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="XKLsnvB6CAAJ" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">greene...@...> wrote:
Hi all,

Need help from HAL experts.

I am following the steps to integrate the ARM neural network HAL on my development kit (<a href="https://github.com/ARM-software/android-nn-driver" rel="nofollow" target="_blank" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2FARM-software%2Fandroid-nn-driver\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNEwd0LRceHHDsUxczRkRtr1vipRpA&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2FARM-software%2Fandroid-nn-driver\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNEwd0LRceHHDsUxczRkRtr1vipRpA&#39;;return true;">https://github.com/ARM-software/android-nn-driver). In the testing section we have the following step to "Run the ArmNN driver service executable in the background":