Reliable and proper way to understand if launcher is loaded or initial device setup is over

Reliable and proper way to understand if launcher is loaded or initial device setup is over

Cengiz
Hi,

I need to understand if launcher is up and running or not. BOOT_COMPLETED is probably a good way to assume it is loaded but it will not work for initial device setup, as it is broadcast as soon as the device setup begins. I can probably implement a native app with appropriate permissions to check all processes but that seems unnecessary to me. There must be a way to understand if the launcher is ready or not. Alternatively, If I can detect the initial setup is completely over, including the tutorials from O, it would serve me as much, considering the next thing happens after the tutorials is loading launcher.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Reliable and proper way to understand if launcher is loaded or initial device setup is over

Vitaliy Freidovich
Hi,

There are allot of ways to achieve this.

I didnt underatand why you don't want to register for the BOOT_COMPLETED event as a simple app, but you could also 1. simply implement your own luncher which would notify you during setup when it's running
2. check the android property system values,
3. wait for launcher's specific process.
4. start your own service in init.rc on late boot

just to begin with

Good luck,
Vitaliy

On Fri 27 Jul 2018, 6:34 p.m. Cengiz, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I need to understand if launcher is up and running or not. BOOT_COMPLETED is probably a good way to assume it is loaded but it will not work for initial device setup, as it is broadcast as soon as the device setup begins. I can probably implement a native app with appropriate permissions to check all processes but that seems unnecessary to me. There must be a way to understand if the launcher is ready or not. Alternatively, If I can detect the initial setup is completely over, including the tutorials from O, it would serve me as much, considering the next thing happens after the tutorials is loading launcher.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Reliable and proper way to understand if launcher is loaded or initial device setup is over

Cengiz
Hi Vitaliy,
The reason why I do not register for BOOT_COMPLETED is because it is also broadcasted without any launcher. This corresponds to the beginning of the initial device setup. My app needs to be silent during initial device setup, but should run after that, starting from the first boot, meaning it should start running at the end of initial device setup. I can not implement a custom launcher. I will look into the other suggestion.

Thanks a lot.

On Fri 27 Jul 2018, 6:34 p.m. Cengiz, <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="vOsE2JItCQAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">cengiz....@airties-stb.com> wrote:
Hi,

I need to understand if launcher is up and running or not. BOOT_COMPLETED is probably a good way to assume it is loaded but it will not work for initial device setup, as it is broadcast as soon as the device setup begins. I can probably implement a native app with appropriate permissions to check all processes but that seems unnecessary to me. There must be a way to understand if the launcher is ready or not. Alternatively, If I can detect the initial setup is completely over, including the tutorials from O, it would serve me as much, considering the next thing happens after the tutorials is loading launcher.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Reliable and proper way to understand if launcher is loaded or initial device setup is over

Vitaliy Freidovich
Hi Cengiz,

In this case you can simply record if it's the first time your app is running or not by using persistant storage, such as shared preferences.

Good luck,
Vitaliy

On Wed 1 Aug 2018, 9:18 p.m. Cengiz, <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Here is how I solved for now,

The resolver for "MAIN/HOME" action returns the setupwraith during the device setup. After it is done, i.e., post tutorials, it seems to be changed to leanback launcher. I simply check which package will receive the home action, and decide what to do based on that.